I would be very interested in ...

Official Zenfolio Lightroom Plugin

Zenfolio needs an official Lightroom 4 plugin.

I am seriously reconsidering my loyalty to Zenfolio.

From the beginning, I felt like trusting a third party application with an expensive serial number was a bad idea. But just recently I bought Lightroom 4 and upon trying to re-enable my zenfolio plugin, the plugin gives me some bull **** error code stating that the $150 I paid adobe is invalid.

I just want to express that until this is fixed, I am seriously considering shutterfly or smugmug.

Thank you

478 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jamie Gray shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
declined  ·  AdminZenAdmin (Admin, Zenfolio) responded  · 

While we do not plan on designing a separate Lightroom plug-in, we have substantially increased the available support for Jeffrey Friedl’s plug-in and a implemented a better communication with him to quickly resolve issues as they arise.

43 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • La Vie en Photos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Coming from SmugMug, the Lightroom plugin for Zenfolio (at least under Mac OS X) is one of the few areas where I find the experience inferior. Managing folders is tricky, uploads tend to fail more often via plugin than direct uploads through the web interface, and the plugin has a tendency to break without explanation. An official supported plugin from Zenfolio would be greatly appreciated, uploading directly from Lightroom is an important part of the workflow.

• Darkroom Visuals LLC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed that there should be an official...or at least cleaner looking plugin. Sure, Jeff's plugin is usable, but the amount of reading, planning and understanding to start using it is a lot more than what a plugin should take. If anyone has ever used the Apple Aperture to Zenfolio plugin, that is the kind of experience which makes sense (it's as easy as "select the gallery and upload to it").

• Robin Lund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I moved from PhotoShelter to Zenfolio, but I am probably moving back because of the lack of a working Lightroom plugin with Zenfolio.

• Camner Family Photos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I don't doubt the validity of the experiences of others, I have used Jeffry Friedl's LR plugin to upload many galleries from LR5 with no headaches whatsoever (other than operator error, but that's not the plugin's fault!)

• Loren Heinle Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I asked more than a year ago if there was ever going to be a lightroom plugin from zenfolio and was told that the engineers would "look into it". I find the jeffy friedl plugin shoddy at best. It is overly complex, full of bugs, and as has caused me many headaches and too much time.

For a company that has gotten so much right, this is discouraging, and gives me serious doubt that zenfolio understands or cares about what the professional photographer needs to connect with their customers. The ability of a professional photographer to use zenfolio with Lightroom is the most important thing to get right. So zenfolios solution is to defer to a guy who creates plugins in his spare time?

I will not be renewing my subscription if this issue is not resolved. I came to zf from Smugmug. Their LR plugin is very well done and will make my life much easier as it once did. They should learn from them. This is a poison pill. It is time for their engineers to figure something out.

• Alan Williams Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

jf plugin is very basic.

By contast SM plugin has so many more options when you create a gallery that much work and time is saved when you upload a gallery.

Zen, for an outfit as big as you are the very least you should be providing is an inhouse plugin for use with Lightroom.
    Go have a look at SmugMugs, you'll get the idea!

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ive never had a real big issue thats not been sorted with Jeffs plug in, however an official one would be better. Its a very important process of my work flow.

• Horn Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lightroom 5 functionality seriously limited with Jeffrey's plugin. Zenfolio, if you want to continue to attract the photographer community, you need to make a plugin that works well, and not rely on a 3rd party to do this. I haven't been able to upload anything to Zenfolio in about a month, because I am having an issue that doesn't present any errors, but it doesn't show all of my images that I uploaded in LR4 to Zenfolio, in the appropriate gallery under Jeffrey's plugin in LR5. As far as I'm concerned, I won't be renewing my subscription to Zenfolio until this issue is fixed.

• LBenac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel the same, while Jeff Friedl has great functionality, it is not the most stable and it needs a professional team to turn it into what it should be at that level. Likewise I am reconsidering renewing my Zenfolio account in Feb - if SmugMug was easier and more intuitive to customize, I would probably have already gone over.

• Etched in Pixels Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Highly agreed. Zenfolio should have it's own 1st-party plugin on-par with Smugmug's (which is great).

Shame on you ZF for pawning this job off on Jeff Friedl. A third party plugin is no substitute for ZF's own. Friedl does what he can, but he's only one guy who has a lot else on his plate.

Jeff's plugin is missing some features, and not very well organized. It didn't sort my folders heirarchically, for example, until I dug into the settings.

One reason I am going with Smugmug is their excellent LR plugin makes gallery management easier.

• Gary Schulz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Friedl´s plugin is the only one around, I guess. The problem with it is, it is not using all the fields you actually should set, like categories and alt attribute (VERY important for search engines!). Friedl´s answer to my question about this was, I am the only one so far who asked for it.
    I think, zenfolio should have its own like 500px.com has one of its own

• paulvanoss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is thinkable that Zenfolio offers Jeff's plugin and makes a deal with Jeff.

Did you ever tried that, people from Zenfolio?

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I reregistered my Jeffery plugin with no problem. I freely paid $10 as I believe he works hard to deliver a sound product with little expectations from users. I also use it solely to manage my Lightroom to zenfolio transfers.

• Carson Wilcox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think you miss read the error, when you upgraded to LR4, Adobe changed your serial number so it doesn't match with the plugin, I'm assuming you are using Jefferies. If that is the case, all you need to do is re-register the plugin and pay a penny for this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base