I would be very interested in ...

Send email from my domain

It would be far better to have emails sent from my domain than "Zenfolio [noreply@zenfoliomail.com]; on behalf of; CCG Creative Studios, LLC [sales@ccgcreativestudios.com]". This is simply not a very attractive presentation to the client. You've done a very nice job removing branding in most places for the Premium account, but this is a weak spot.

If Google Mail can figure out how to send email through my SMTP server by letting me set up credentials in the proper way, then surely the smart people at Zenfolio can find a way to do the same thing.

1,057 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    CCG Creative StudiosCCG Creative Studios shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • photoguy92849photoguy92849 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey all - let me know if you're interested in this and if you'd pay for such an app. We recently hired a developer to enable exporting details of all groups (client name, email, group URL etc) to then be imported into the email marketing service of my choice (currently using GetResponse). This way, I could send customized mass emails with sale announcements along with a client's unique link. For example:

Dear [Name],

It's holiday time and we're having a huge sale... Check out your photos at [Link] and order away!

The name and link will be loaded from a database which is updated every time a new group is uploaded to Zenfolio. Additionally clients will be able to create their own password their first time and modify or request deletion of their photos.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not at all difficult to do. Definitely needs to be done sooner rather than later.

• KuvammeKuvamme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know. Lethargy is now the main thing keeping me on Zenfolio. They seem to have given up on development and communicating (or, it feels, like fiddling whilst Rome burns).

In 2014 there's still no multilingual support, no dedicated uploader plugin (relying on the goodwill of a third party developer /s who might not keep developing and certainly aren't paid to provide support isn't really on) and what feels like poor SEO integration compared to the other services out there.

It "feels" like the "third party" product integration is standing still, at least in Europe. A lot of my enthusiasm for Zenfolio has been sapped.

I understand at least one competitor has a "import from Zenfolio" function, whether official or not (I saw this a few months ago). Really should get around to investigating. I've tried to be fair to Zenfolio (at least their basic support team is stellar, even if they can't really do a lot and pass on "suggestions" to developers.

You wouldn't believe there's still no way to search your entire Zenfolio archive for a filename ... I mean, come on (support confirmed this a week or two ago).

Piddling about with the RAW storage thing and then charging for it for the higher tiers just feels cheap. I don't use it (I store unlimited backups on Jottacloud for about 7 euros/month and I've terabytes backed up there but storage is cheap nowadays, especially at the sizes Zenfolio can be buying.

• Barbara ReedBarbara Reed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am considering Zenfolio: Good grief, I would have assumed this would already be in place. When I read that Zen had removed their branding on the top few premium plans, I thought this would be done on everything, or what is the point of not having the Zenfolio brand on some things, but having the Zenfolio brand on other things?
        Perhaps since some of the comments are from months ago, has this been done now?

• StefanStefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have also just realised that this appears to be working now. The 'from' address is indeed set to our domain. Does this mean I should update the SPF record for our domain to allow zenfolio as well, in case a receiving domain does check that?

• Rob McAninchRob McAninch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just received an invitation that is sent with my email address as the From, so those emails are fine. So I guess you are meaning the emails regarding orders are sent from a Zenfolio email. It would be nice to have the option of completely masking the Zenfolio branding by sending all mail through our own SMTP. Or integration with a mailing service like SubscriberMail or YMLP.

However, I'm sure Zenfolio has agreements with ISPs to not send abusive spam and increase deliverability. If mail was sent through our own SMTP then this would no longer apply.

The shopping cart switches to a Zenfolio URL, probably for the SSL certificate, so if a client notices this then having the customer get email from Zenfolio to handle customer service is an ok option for me. I handle the main client directly most of the time and it is wedding guests that would end up ordering via Zenfolio so for them to see some third party branding - I can live with.

• CCG Creative StudiosCCG Creative Studios commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still an issue. Emails are sent from [Zenfolio Photo Services <noreply@zenfolio.com>] "on behalf of" your studio name and email address. This will result in the proper address being used when replying, but does not mean it is being sent from your own domain.

• JacquesJacques commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature seems to have already been implemented. My invitations to view galleries have my email address as the reply-to address.

• Studio Los DosStudio Los Dos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this even still an issue. I just sent out an invite and it came from my address, no zenfolio's. I do have a paid account.

• Bob AtkinsBob Atkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am trying the free trial before setting up a website. I did not know that ZenFolio utilised their email address when dealing with customers. Not professional! It's a great pity and a bit surprising, especially when one considers all the care that is taken to remove their branding from other aspects of the service.

I think I may have to reconsider! Perhaps, there can be some indication that this will be changed in the future!

• Eric Leuthardt PhotographyEric Leuthardt Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think an option to send using our own mail servers would be best. I use Wordpress, and there is a plugin that allows me to enter not only my outbound server but also my credentials and SSL options. For those of us using DKIM/SPF and DMARC, this would be ideal.

• Torsten DettlaffTorsten Dettlaff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree. This is vital to create a consistent experience for customers. People are very aware of this type of thing now and are scared off by unfamiliar / unexpected addresses, sites etc. This is a small point but a large flaw.

• Rob McAninchRob McAninch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some folks might like this option. It does have negatives.

As the amount of spam and phishing emails continue to rise we continue to risk landing in spam boxes if we send through our own email servers that are unrecognized by gmail, yahoo, and other ISPs. E.g. mine is on a shared server, my own domain, but the IP is shared and Gmail for instance can treat all email from that IP as the same and I could end up blacklisted and not delivered due to others on the host.

Zenfolio on the other hand can act as a mailing service, like Constant Contact or YMLP, and negotiate with the ISPs to keep our marketing emails flowing.

I know a number of folks that 'trust' an email more when it has those lines at the bottom that look like a third party is keeping control of what we send them.

So perhaps if I could funnel these emails through the likes of YMLP then that might be nice and could improve deliverability while further masking the zenfolio branding and keep all my marketing email in one place.

• Root PhotographyRoot Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For free accounts, I can understand the Zenfolio presence. But for the higher-end paid accounts, please please let us keep the customer experience consistent! ZF is sooo close to being exactly what we've needed, but little things like this hold it back.

• Laura KaczmarekLaura Kaczmarek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really, really like Zenfolio for my Fine Art; but I would like them even more if I could send and receive emails from my domain! Right now, I have another service hosting my Wedding business site, partly because it includes a professional-looking email address. I would love to somehow be able to move that over to Zenfolio.

• CCG Creative StudiosCCG Creative Studios commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@SpotNphoto: This is partially the case. They send it so that it arrives in my Inbox like this -

Zenfolio Photo Services <noreply@zenfolio.com>; on behalf of; CCG Creative Studios, LLC <sales@ccgcreativestudios.com>

So, depending on your email client, you might see it as from Zenfolio Photo Services or as from CCG Creative Studios, LLC or your client might put this in the spam or junk folder since it is using the "on behalf of" feature.

If I give Zenfolio the proper permissions (like I do with Gmail), then they can actually send it genuinely from my mail host rather than using the "on behalf of" functionality.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base