• google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    VV shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    PeterPeter shared a merged idea: Geotagged Photos  ·   · 
    John OlsenJohn Olsen shared a merged idea: Geotagging  ·   · 
    Dave ChurchillDave Churchill shared a merged idea: Extraction and utilization of GPS data now being recorded as metadata with images.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Geolocation GPS  ·   · 
    Pete BurtonPete Burton shared a merged idea: Geo Tagging  ·   · 
    wjbinokcwjbinokc shared a merged idea: the ability to show where photos where taken (on a map) [using GPS]  ·   · 
    JiheffeJiheffe shared a merged idea: Add mapping features (Google maps, etc...)  ·   · 

63 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jc R-PhotographyJc R-Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With this price increase that is going on this feature should be included now. it's been almost a year since the ZenMaster posted

"We are still working out the exact details of getting this added, but we are planning to get it implemented once we can get those details sorted."

If I am going to pay more this feature needs to be added ASAP

• FloatymanFloatyman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with what Michael Fink said. I have been waiting since I joined in 2008. When I joined it was 'coming soon' and all these years later it is still 'planned' , and 'working out details'. It is becoming a bit of a joke and at the end of this payment cycle I think that will be that if it is still 'planned' without some more concrete details

• Michael FinkMichael Fink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

<Sigh> Another new feature release e-mail adding dynamic thumbnails and new fonts and styling options, and still no mention/timeline/implementation of Geotagging. Zenfolio, you have one more update cycle, then I'm switching; this is ridiculous, I do travel photography (as do I'm sure, lots of your users) and the lack of Geotagging just continues to drive me up the wall because people can't figure out where I took a picture without sending me an e-mail to ask. Retrieve the data from EXIF and call Google Maps with the GPS coordinates. That's all I (and it sounds like others) are asking as a first step. This should be a 1 day programming effort, not something that's been in planning for 6 months without a word to release date or functionality.

• Heyman PhotographyHeyman Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's another vote for adding a mapping function for geotagged photos. How difficult can this be? Retrieve the GPS coordinates from the EXIF data and call a (Google or other) mapping API to show the map in a popup window would be a reasonable first step!

• Ron PreeceRon Preece commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the Michael Fink comment of August 23 2013. Please get a mapping function added as a minimum. Not that hard. I am relatively new to Zenfolio and am shocked to find out this functionality has been planned for 3 years with no progress. I am not opposed to switching services if need be....

• Allen ForrestAllen Forrest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Zenfolio site includes a standard Zenfolio "Search" page. That page has a search box at the top, below the logo/menu tabs. Below is a vast, empty space. That empty space would be a perfect place for a large map with links to photos on places in that map.

• Sergio De GregorioSergio De Gregorio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I was with Smugmug this was on the top 5 questions from my customers: "How did you do that Geotagging?". It works for them and for us. In some use cases it is essential.
        Nature, landscape, architecture, etc., how can Zenfolio miss this opportunity?

Zenfolio should do better than Smugmug but the time it is taking for this is frustrating.
        I have to say when I moved from Smugmug this was the functionality I was really concerned about + localisation. Both of them seem to have been forgotten in a drawer.
        Zenfolio, innovation is the key to success.

• Gauri MatikainenGauri Matikainen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I simply don't get it! Almost three years and nothing has happened?? Geotagging is a basic feature and several intelligent suggestions has been made by users how this can be implemented in an easy way. Obviously it is not rocket science. Obviously it is quite simple to do that.

This is really annoying!! Have you ever thought of this issue being a deal breaker?

I'd love to have a bunch of spacial related features, but, frankly, I don't need them on ZenFolio. I'm not going to use a website to do hard manipulation of my photo data (or maps created from them), I'm going to do that offline using my professional tools. How many of your ZenFolio viewers are going to take the time to draw polygons on a map or use a query with buffer zones?

My users just want to know "where did you take that picture". It's the most common question that people ask me (2nd was "what lens/aperture/ISO/etc", all of which requires a 10 second e-mail to show them where to get that data on my Zenfolio site). I'd love to have something more advanced; something like Lightroom has that shows a Google map with pictures overlaid. Sure, that would be cool, and I'd probably use it. I'm not sure my viewers would care though.

What they most certainly DO care about is the ability to see the metadata from my photo and put it on a map to see where I took it. I fully support more "advanced" geotagging/manipulation, but, stop letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. A link to a map would fix 80% of this for me, and I'm a very heavy user of geotagging in my workflow. The other 20%, while interesting and cool, aren't going to be "make or break" features for the vast majority of photographers.

• Yvan Bedard Photo NatureYvan Bedard Photo Nature commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, simple geotagging is very limited and not that interesting. I want the possibility to geotag galleries/collections/groups to polygons I draw on a map or to points I position myself. I want the capacity to use geographic names in my keywords to automatically geotag photos using web-based gazetteers (not all photos have GPS coordinates). I want to query photos using a user-defined polygon instead of keywords. I want to query photos using a geographic feature with buffer zone (ex. all photos less than 50 meters from Lake Georges). I want my personal map of the world with points showing where my photos are and link these places with my galleries. I want a map that overlays on the map the name of places where I made photos and I want to click on these names to open the gallery of these photos.
        In fact, there is tremendous potential to innovate in comparison to other photo web sites. One only needs to analyse basic capabilities of free-open source GIS (geographic information systems). One could even offer much more by combining GIS and BI (business intelligence) capabilities like we do with spatial on-line analytical processing (my expertise BTW)

• T.J. Powell | PhotographyT.J. Powell | Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, Michael Fink, if you want to do that it is very simple. I bet the Zenfolio people want to do something a little more elegant than a link to a google map.

Oh come on guys, this could be done in an afternoon by a competent programmer (at least a phase one approach). Put a link on site for each picture that looks in the metadata and pulls out the GPS location. Then format it into HTML following Google maps standard format. Done. I could write something to do it with a downloaded photo from your site in about an hour. Here's the format, BTW, in case you've never seen it before:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=%2B38%C2%B0+34%27+24.00%22,+-109%C2%B0+32%27+57.00%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Stop making this into a multi-year project and just implement something. Pull the metadata from the JPG file, put it into Google format and add a link when your browsing photos. It's really not that hard.

• Russell Tammany, Exphose PhotoRussell Tammany, Exphose Photo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really nice to have. Are we at stage 2 yet?

Stage 1 - Backburner it for 3 years
        Stage 2 - Spend a day writing a few lines of code
        Stage 3 - Release working geotagging
        Stage 4 - Refine further based on user comments

• Dempsey DarrowDempsey Darrow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this? I am abandoning Smugmug due to a very poor rollout of a massive "upgrade" (made my site unusable) and am giving Zenfolio a tryout. If there are no plans for geotag support there's no sense in lingering. It's hard to believe they don't already have it...

• Shannon MShannon M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why am I not surprised to see this kind of response? Smugmug won't add certain features and they keep saying they're going to add it or have been working on it for years do I see some resemblence? Ya know... smugmug IS located in the same area as ZenFolio; I wonder if they are in cahoots!

Geotagging is a MUST! Zenfolio has almost everything I could need/want smugmug just waits too long to implement folder hierachy like ZF has already.

I'll vote here and with my wallet if they don't add it (although my trial is 2 weeks, I can't expect much) but if they don't add it soon; they're not going to win any subscribers including myself but I am on the verge of switching.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base