I would be very interested in ...

Multi-Language / Localisation

I would like to display customer pages completly in a different language. This is important for international sales or non-US local business

2,535 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ruggero de pellegrini photographyruggero de pellegrini photography shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: It's a pity it's not possible to make a website with everything in french :-(  ·   · 
    Florence DerouetFlorence Derouet shared a merged idea: HAVE A SOLUTION FOR THE FIRST ITEM : MULTI LANGUAGE  ·   · 
    Paolo FioriPaolo Fiori shared a merged idea: available for help  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Having support for Hebrew text  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: muti-language  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: A quand la traduction du site en français ?  ·   · 
    Sylvie Arseneault photographeSylvie Arseneault photographe shared a merged idea: Would like to be able to have my website in French. .  ·   · 
    UteUte shared a merged idea: Eine deutsprachige Oberfläche wäre ganz toll !!!!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Multi Language self words change possibility expecially in "BUY" session  ·   · 
    Stefan HillStefan Hill shared a merged idea: German Language Support  ·   · 
    Photopainter Andreu MurilloPhotopainter Andreu Murillo shared a merged idea: VOTE FOR Translate our zenfolio website into Spanish to reach Spanish and South American market  ·   · 
    cmartincmartin shared a merged idea: Multi-Language  ·   · 
    alessandro cecconialessandro cecconi shared a merged idea: portuguese/brazilian language support. Brazil is huge market. You are wasting a lot of potential customers  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: german version  ·   · 
    Rüdiger RübigRüdiger Rübig shared a merged idea: German localization would be great.  ·   · 
    GuillaumeGuillaume shared a merged idea: Multi language and price in euro  ·   · 
    colinboltoncolinbolton shared a merged idea: A french customer interface, merci beaucoup!  ·   · 
    Cercle Photographique Agnès Humblet de KraainemCercle Photographique Agnès Humblet de Kraainem shared a merged idea: Multiligual labels  ·   · 
    Steffen Freiling PhotographySteffen Freiling Photography shared a merged idea: Print Ordering Process in German - all forms regarding the print ordering process in german  ·   · 
    AbdoAbdo shared a merged idea: Translation to PORTUGUESE  ·   · 
    Andreas SteinAndreas Stein shared a merged idea: ... a German user interface :-)  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: in italian, please  ·   · 

435 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • P'BP'B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From following this issue for years I think there are several issues at play inside Zenfolio.

(1) Zenfolio is a VERY American company, and Americans are not famous for working or thinking internationally. Consider that it is a country where people are still using archaic English measurements (Fahrenheit, pounds, gallons, weird paper sizes, etc.) and relatively few people have passports or learn another language and you can imagine the environment.

(2) Zenfolio architected and built their system without any consideration of making it multilingual. They could rewrite it to use a database of translated strings (user contributed!) to make it work like many other modern websites but they have limited development resources and are choosing to "pick the low hanging fruit" first.

(3) Zenfolio should involve its community even more by starting a "beta tester" program. The situation now that customers cannot select the language would have been a top issue raised by the beta testers to Zenfolio, judging by the comments here after the fact.

In any case it's a pity that Zenfolio is doing so little for what is a bigger market than the US, to their own financial detriment because this hurts subscriptions as well as photo sales.

• KuvammeKuvamme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll be honest, I could not imagine how Zenfolio could even think that this satisfies the title of multi-language or localisation.

If they have really spent all this time to offer this "little" one wonders what they are doing over there. Meanwhile other basic features still seem missing (search your own images by a keyword)?

Hey the 1990s are calling, they want their functionality back.

Some of the "levels of service" being offered and functionality would be embarrassing and potful for a free site. Let alone something we pay for.

But hey, they keep "spamming" with the "last chance to get 20% off a picture printing" - it seems every week there is a sale. Such "desperate activity" - at least in the UK - is viewed as a sign that a company is fighting to keep its head above the water.

It has certainly inspired me to look for a "plan B" - if the game doesn't get improved one might be bailing before that as well.

It feels most of the feedback we give is just ignored.

• Malaïka Weber PhotographyMalaïka Weber Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, Thank you for this translation service in French and German, this is nice! But I is not exactly what I expected .... For example, I live in a country where we have three main languages​​. If I choose to put my website in French, I'll be in the same problem as before, customers who speak other languages ​​can not read my site. It is therefore not the photographer must be able to change the language but the customers from different countries ... Apparently I'm not the only person who made ​​that comment, I hope you will understand that we need more flexibility for a multilingual service. Again, that would require customers to have the choice to choose their language .... Best regards

• Oliver Smith PhotographyOliver Smith Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alright I am going to try to be as constructive as possible.
        We really need input from a product manager here, the requirements that were written up clearly do not cover the needs:
        - French and German only, really?
        - The zenfolio.com site has a multi language selector, why would the solution you sell be different?
        - If you do not want to go through the expense of localizing into a different language, at least provide them the ability to customise strings with a string editor. Not something that would be supported by Zenfolio but at least a solution.
        - If the only "workaround" is to have 2 or more sites, then provide a competitive pricing.

SmugMug and Photoshelter do not have this, surely this is an opportunity for Zenfolio. The US market seems to be saturated with options however the rest of the non English speaking world have limited options (and that is probably the only reason a portion of the customers are staying on).

I'm happy to give more feedback to product management, so please reach out to me.

• Daniele Mion FotografoDaniele Mion Fotografo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All your customers are too politically corrected in the comment about when and how Zenfolio has "implemented" as required by more than one year: flying over the fact that in the world is not English, nor French nor the German the most spoken language, but Spanish, here it is not taken account of who pays for the services Zenfolio.

He was going to be implemented the possibility of locating the language independently by each, because without a localization of the online shop Zenfolio is equal to a simple wordpress site.

Implement the function, or many, but many users change service!

• paco jiménez photographypaco jiménez photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

¿German and French? I need Spanish and many others their own language. We really need a much more flexible implementation. Frustrated by how Zenfolio has implemented what they call multi-language. For many of us, Zenfolio have simply done nothing. After a long wait, big disappointment. I'll probably have to leave Zenfolio and find another solution.

• Marko TukiainenMarko Tukiainen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sure, this is a step in the right direction, but really not at all how this should have been implemented. If it took you this long to complete just two languages, how long until you are going to support Finnish, for example? Not in my lifetime.

Please, just make it possible for the site admin to upload their own language file(s) and then let the end user choose their preferred language.

• ThomasThomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The customer should have the possibility to choose the desired language in the frontend.

• Daracle PhotographyDaracle Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had a look at this when it was released, and suspected that it was to set the language as a final option.
        Unfortunately, and as many folk have already commented, this needs to be an option for the customer / viewer to select THEIR language of preference.

Therefore, or this is still W.I.P or whatever work that has been done since this was started needs to be reviewed so that there is the option to select a preferred language when entering a Zenfolio platform webpage.

I have faith that as it's marked as "Started" this is still being worked on and this (minor issue) was overseen the Dev team will see this and decide to enable the ability to define a "Default" language but also "ADD" a drop down option with the ability to select an additional language...

Come on guys, where do all these feedback comments and Ideas go to??

• René Lortie photographeRené Lortie photographe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can only hope this is a work in progress; because I wished the user could select his language of choice not the admin set the language once and forever. I am based in Quebec, Canada and some users are french speaking (majority) AND some others are english speaking; besides, I could have customers from USA and from anywhere in the world. Please consider this, but after waiting for two years, I will start looking for another solution.

• LeclairLeclair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wonderful! Great! Formidable! Today I had the surprise to discover my ZenFolio website in french, this is really great news for me!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22

Feedback and Knowledge Base