I would be very interested in ...

Music througout site and not just on main page

I would like to have the music you experience constant throughout a visitors visit to my site. It would very much help the cohesiveness of the site. It doing so it would be nice to set a group of tracks to play so one piece of music is not replaying in the event someone is on a site for any length of time.

591 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    scott granescott grane shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    marcia gaebelmarcia gaebel shared a merged idea: Be able to add additional tracks to slideshows, especially the slideshow on the home page.  ·   · 
    Joao LeaoJoao Leao shared a merged idea: having a music player common to all pages !  ·   · 
    u georgeu george shared a merged idea: Uniterrupted Music Playing  ·   · 
    u georgeu george shared a merged idea: Potential Clients should be able to hear music in the background uninterrupted (no lag as they move from gallery to gallery). Filim director  ·   · 
    JMPhotographyJMPhotography shared a merged idea: Music looping through entire website!  ·   · 
    Geminii PhotographyGeminii Photography shared a merged idea: A way to play my homepage soundtrack across all my Zenfolio pages without pausing.  ·   · 
    Lisa HandleyLisa Handley shared a merged idea: Seamless music (playlist) playing throughout website pages.  ·   · 
    JessiJessi shared a merged idea: client access page music  ·   · 
    Meghan Meghan shared a merged idea: Having a song associated with a page, or play throughout the site, rather then just a slideshow.  ·   · 
    BrianBrian shared a merged idea: Music should play throughout the site as an option not just the slideshows!!!  ·   · 
    E.C.E.C. shared a merged idea: I would like my soundtrack to consistently play as clients click on other pages  ·   · 
    Trisha RonsTrisha Rons shared a merged idea: Same soundtrack being able to play from page to page  ·   · 
    Barbara M VenturaBarbara M Ventura shared a merged idea: Adding soundtrack option to the PhotoView  ·   · 
    LP Love PhotographyLP Love Photography shared a merged idea: having music available on all pages not just the home page  ·   · 
    Phantom Image PhotographyPhantom Image Photography shared a merged idea: soundtracks that run continuously as clients browse  ·   · 
    ChalielainephotographyChalielainephotography shared a merged idea: I would like music to play not only on the slideshows but the whole time people are veiwing pics  ·   · 

68 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Greg TownsendGreg Townsend commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fair point. However my point is not about whether the feature is wanted or not by Zenfolio users, that as you rightly say is a free choice we all have. What I am asking Zenfolio to do, based on the fact we can't click and vote down an idea, is not waste time on a feature that drives business away from a commercial web site, that no major web presence uses and that has been shunned by every top commercial photographer on the internet. There are many more pressing issues for Zenfolio to address that would actually improve the service and create additional business and revenue for us. If music was a free extra that require no additional effort by Zenfolio to provide who cares if it's available or not, but they will spend time and resources on this and provide additional bandwidth to stream it.

I suppose in a way I should be encouraging it though. It might well drive a prospective discerning client to quickly leave the music site and maybe come to mine, Allisons, Ottowa Wedding etc and give us the work instead! I think I will vote for this after all. Nice.

• PhotosbyNathanW.comPhotosbyNathanW.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you don't want it, you don't have to have it. You have your opinion and we have ours. Its NOT a poor webpage design. Its just preference and if you don't like it, then don't make it. Nothing personal... except that everyone is different. I love pages that have a nice calm music to set a mood. So if you don't like it, again, don't put it on!

• Greg TownsendGreg Townsend commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Politely voting this one down but respecting others right not to.

Music on a commercial website, especially a photography one, is generally accepted to be a very poor web design concept. Looking around the Internet at some of the most successful and popular web sites I don't see any of them using music by default. Amazon doesn't add nice background music to enhance the shopping experience. Nor does Asos, Ebay, Facebook, Google, Flickr... the list goes on and on.

Also looking at the American Photo's top ten wedding photographers of 2013.... not a single one uses music on their web sites.

Zenfolio only have limited resources and I would much rather they spent them adding new features and improving the existing product range.

• AlisonAlison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PhotosbyNathanW: All I was saying was, there are more critical FUNCTIONAL issues that need to be addressed, before a cosmetic addition of more muzak that the majority of users switch off. And if adding more muzak is Zenfolio's priority over fixing fundamental business issues, then yes, it is my business. I wasn't suggesting preventing anyone customizing sites in their own way. I *was* suggesting a good prioritization of business needs... maybe I shouldn't try to host stock photos on a service mostly used by wedding photogs. My own darn fault.

• PhotosbyNathanW.comPhotosbyNathanW.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allison, what you do with your website customization is your business, and what we do with ours is our business. To each their own.

• AlisonAlison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No music. No. Please look after full licensing (like in PhotoShelter or PhotoDeck, for example), and full indexing of image titles and keywords in search before adding more music. Anyone measured how many site visitors turn OFF sound?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have they made this option available yet? If so can someone tell me how to do it?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree too. Some people only look at the initial slideshow for less than a minute then they're into the main website and the music ends.

I agree Victor,... Hubert seems to be a know it all hot head and needs to seriously take a step back or delete his comment as it makes himself out to be a nasty person with just hot air coming out. Its totally fine to state something as opinion and having your own opinion; but coming out so rash is just making himself out to be the fool.

As far as your comment Hubert, to each their own. You have your own likes and tastes. Not everyone is like you (Thank GOD). So make comments with discernment and preserve your own reputation and character views. Comments like this (just being honest) make me not want to know you. I hope you're not like this in real life.

• Victor EngelVictor Engel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hubert, your assertions are so strong they beg to be contradicted. Certainly it can be done. These days tabbed browsers are the norm. One possibility would be to set up one tab for browsing images and another for playing music. If the browser were not a tabbed browser, popups could be used instead.

And the web is no longer stateless. In addition to using cookies to track states, many websites use back end databases to track states.

• HubertHubert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is technically impossible as you leave one site to go to the other...unless you put everything in between an iFrame which has tons of cons against it. SO NEVER Ever can it be done nor it is desirable....the web is just stateless, so music can't just continue from one site to the other and never ever will. nowhere....and less here.

• Ottawa Wedding Photography by Christopher Steven B.Ottawa Wedding Photography by Christopher Steven B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a note to those putting music on their sites--if you're running a business and attempting to attract clients, music on a site, particularly when there is no obvious and easy way to turn it off, can turn off a visitor faster than just about any other aspect of one's site. I love music, but take care ladies and gents.

• Patrycja Patrycja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love an option of having a soundtrack through the whole web site on each page. Not just home page and slideshows. I like consistency on my web sites. ;-) If there was also option for more control,like switching between songs would be awesome too. And more clear navigation so when person visits web site at work can turn off the music,if they wish so.

• CurtisCurtis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so can we play music throughout the site now? or its still on main page or slide shows, if we are able to do so now, can someone please teach me. thanks !!

• photoguy92849photoguy92849 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i agree. even better though, the visitor should be able to choose their own music from this docked mini-player rather than us having to preset the music. everyone has different tastes and those tastes change over time.

1) we should pick only the genre which would determine the default song.
        2) random songs from that preset genre should play continuously
        3) visitor should be able to switch the genre or specific song that is playing on their own

• Raku Loren PhotographyRaku Loren Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also love to have sitewide music as an option so it continues as clients look through galleries. Ideally, there would be some control like going from one song to another, shuffle, or change song each day from a list or folder just to mix it up a little and doesn't become monotonous.

But the most important element is for the music to be off by default and let people choose to initiate it if they are in an appropriate environment.

• Rob McAninchRob McAninch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I won't be using music on the whole site, though it is a fine option to have, I hate it when sites do that. Music on the slide show is anticipated and I can adjust my system volume (it is normally turned high as I play iTunes remotely through these speakers).

I would prefer the slide show have a more obvious and instantly findable mute button. Some people might hit the slideshow while at work, late at night, or otherwise prefer not to have the music.

Sure, I go to YouTube. And I expect to hear sound so adjust my volume accordingly.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. It would be nice to a playlist for each album. For example, Phanfare.com offers an option to have different music for each section of an album.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base