I would be very interested in ...

Dynamic Collections

I would like to see the ability to set up dynamic galleries. For example, you could set up a gallery that contains all of your public photos with the keyword "sunset." Or all photos with a focal length of 200mm. Or all photos with a focal length >200mm AND the keyword "sunset." The ability to specify which galleries to pull photos from would be nice as well.

661 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Aaron WrightAaron Wright shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Mars LasarMars Lasar shared a merged idea: Save a ton of time!! Equals more money!!  ·   · 
    DnK PhotographyDnK Photography shared a merged idea: Auto-collections - (self populating based on keywords)  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Smart Collections/Galleries!!  ·   · 
    Mars Lasar Studio - Fine Art PhotographyMars Lasar Studio - Fine Art Photography shared a merged idea: This site really needs Smart-Folders!!  ·   · 
    GlynGlyn shared a merged idea: Dynamic Featured Collection  ·   · 
    Joseph DeRuvoJoseph DeRuvo shared a merged idea: Create "Collection" based on IPTC Tags.  ·   · 

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ken DetweilerKen Detweiler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the Lightroom Plugin you can make Smart Collections that automatically populate from photos having specific keyword(s). That's not what we're asking for. What we want is to be able to upload photos once, to a common location or something like date stamped folders/galleries. Then set up dynamic galleries that appear to the user to contain a reference to all photos with specific keywords (or other attributes) without having to duplicate the actual photo (photo is stored in one place but can appear in multiple dynamic galleries). This should be relatively easy to implement since Zenfolio already supports keyword searching.

• Ken DetweilerKen Detweiler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be awesome. What other services are offering it? I have just gotten to the point where my local photo collection uses keywords rather than trying to stuff each picture in the "right" folder - an impossible task when there are typically multiple things of interest in the same image. For cloud storage, why should I go back to the dark ages and try to figure out which "gallery" each picture belongs in?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I asked if this was possible on the chat yesterday, they said no, but was told that it was a great idea.
        When is this planned finished?

I have not decided if I should go for Zenfolio, yet. This is an important issue for me.

• Peter PressaccoPeter Pressacco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From a visitor's perspective, it would be great if this behaved like a 'normal' collection (e.g. Browsing photographs, downloading images, etc.)

• Mark BienvenuMark Bienvenu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 years to go from suggested to planned, then 2.5 years in the "planned" stage. Still trying to figure out a way to link an Mpix product to this? That seems to be what most of the updates revolve around.

• Paul Grottoli PhotographyPaul Grottoli Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This appears to be a planned implementation. When can we expect to start some movement. If you are planning this for 2020, that won't work for many. Other sites have been offering this for years. Give me something to hope for here folks.

• T.J. Powell | PhotographyT.J. Powell | Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want this feature so that I can tag the boys on soccer teams and then automatically create a gallery of photos for the parents and family members. I think this will be able to make i easy for parents to order photos of their kids. Please implement as soon as possible.

• George CathcartGeorge Cathcart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have made a similar suggestion that search results go into dynamic or temporary galleries, so visitors can navigate through just the search results, or even be able to run a slide show of the search results, rather than be whisked off to the home gallery of a photo. Let's do this, Zenfolio!

• Paul Grottoli PhotographyPaul Grottoli Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used it on other sites to automatically add players from teams to their own galleries for purchase. If you do teams (hockey, lacrosse, basketball), you build the gallery once and... voila. Please let's have this one.

Thanks

• jelliejellie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I brought this same issue up with the Zen team prior to getting a membership a couple of years ago. Very useful feature, not difficult to implement. It would be nice to know a timeframe....

• DnK PhotographyDnK Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

... well, because when I emailed zenfolio customer support about it they said that, "it was a great idea and I should post it on the forum"... a little while later I found the other postings. The other posters were using "dynamic" instead of "auto" ... but yes, this idea has been requested for several years!

• Robin Lee PowellRobin Lee Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So this doesn't in any way *solve the problem*, but as a workaround, here's some Ruby code I wrote to make collections out of a bunch of galleries. You can do the same thing using a search result (there's a commented out example in there).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hckqzeeexk0l4sa/q85-0lArre/programming/zenfolio_example.txt

Any competent programmer should be able to get something good going with that as a starting point, and the Zenfolio API documentation.

Note that while it happens to be in Ruby, it uses no special libraries; this is just direct HTTP POST calls. As such, it should be easy to port to anything. The drawback is that it's hacky and brittle.

• von Goesselnvon Goesseln commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Zen-Team,

we are waiting for this feature for a really long time. Can you finally say when it will be released? 1 week, 1 month, 1 year. Just say, when!!!

• Andreas WeberAndreas Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why start a new request with one vote instead of adding the vote to the 553 others the existing request for that feature already has?

This is such a great idea, and it was suggested 3 years ago!! I hope this happens soon. It's easy to add keywords in LR so having a dynamic gallery that automatically updated itself with new photos of a certain keyword would be amazing!

I would like smart collections that automatically populated themselves with all the photos of a specific keyword

• cc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definately good idea.
        Should be able to read from the jpeg tags.
        Could be implemented with a "highlights feature" that lets you look at photos rated x or above, where x is user configurable and available both as a default setting and configerable per gallery.
        Controlled by a button in the browser.
        An automatic friendly url .../highlights to a highlights slideshow would also be awesome.

• whiteshark photography | kj.jjr.wikmanwhiteshark photography | kj.jjr.wikman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add my name to the list of people requesting this. I do team photography and would love to create dynamic galleries based on my Lightroom ratings. That way fans could easily find the top 10 photos from each game rather than sifting through the 200 or so in the complete gallery. Could also then dynamically create a landing-page slideshow that changes as images are added with certain metadata.

• Brandon VogtsBrandon Vogts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest consideration I can see with something like this would be permissions for viewing, ordering, etc. As customers, we would not want the use of a keyword like "sunset" to pull images from a private booking, protected by a password, into a "fine art" gallery from which anyone can purchase.

I would recommend for any dynamic collections, to include either an alert that images with more restrictive permissions have been included in the dynamic collection, or an option to decide how the software will handle the permissions conflict.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base